Browse Interviews

  • Collection: Sacred Landmarks
22 total

Trinity Cathedral is the Cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio and is located in downtown Cleveland.This is an interview about the history of the church in Cleveland from the beginning of its' first structure in 1829 to the present structure consecrated in 1907. The Bifanos give some background to the history of the area and how it relates to…

St. Elizabeth's of Hungary was formed in 1892. The parish acted as not only a place for the members of the congregation to seek spiritual guidance, but also acted a place for people to socialize. St. Elizabeth's of Hungary also had a school that opened in the 1920s, but was eventually closed in 1961.

This interview with Father John T. Lane, Pastor of St. Paschal Baylon Parish was held in the rectory to document the history of the parish. Father Lane has a history with the parish since childhood. There is some discussion about the Blessed Sacrament Order in Cleveland, New York and Chicago. The early part of the interview focuses on the founding…

The Nottingham-Spirk Design Associates (N-S) purchased the First Church of Christian Scientist at 2200 Overlook Road to relocate their business. The original building was restored with few modifications in order to house the operation of the design/innovation business. The first part of the interview is about when the church was built and the…

This is an interview with Bob Hook, Garfield Monument Guide and Mary Kroemer, Lakeview Cemetery Public Relations Director. In the first part of the interview there is discussion about former President Garfield and Hook as a history teacher. The interview continues with conversation about the monument regarding the design and raising funds for…

This is an interview conducted with Father Anaras Antal, Pastor of St. Elizabeth of Hungary and Robert Purgert, Parish Council Chairman. A little background is given about Father Antal and then the history of St. Elizabeth since the 1890s and the founding pastor Father Karolyn Boehm . The church was built in 1893. Construction of a school followed…

This is an interview with Rob Jagelewski, parish historian and member at St. Stanislaus Church in Slavic Village. Jagelewski's parents and grandparents were also members of this Polish community parish.The early part of the interview involves discussion of how St. Stanislaus Church has been the center of Polish culture in Cleveland's Slavic…

An interview with Reverend Doctor Remus Grama about the history of St. Mary Romanian Orthodox Cathedral, the oldest Romanian Orthodox parish in the United States.

Mr. Arneson and Ms. Schafer traced the history of the congregation from East 82nd. and Euclid Avenue to three independent Unitarian congregations in Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, and Rocky River. Details of Unitarian history dating back to the pilgrims were noted as well as Cleveland's churches beginning in the mid-1800's. The church focuses…

This interview is with Father John McNulty, Pastor of St. Ann Parish, Cleveland Heights, Ohio. The first part of the interview details the history of St. Ann and how it was a spin-off of St. Thomas Aquinas. There is also discussion of the founding pastor, Father John Mary Powers and how he pushed for a new church including his presentation of…

Frank Fiorilli and Richard Gallitto trace the story of the Little Italy community and Holy Rosary Church. The church represents one of three major community and neighborhood institutions that shaped the community and provided the culture and community that marked the Italian neighborhood during the first three quarters of the twentieth century.…

La Sagrada Familia Church is located on Detroit Road in Cleveland, Ohio. This church is the result of the merging of the communities of San Juan Bautista Church (St. John the Baptist) and Capilla Cristo Rey (Christ King Chapel). Bishop Anthony Pilla chose the name, La Sagrada Familia, as a representation of the unity of both parishes. The name also…

The Wade Chapel in Lakeview Cemetery was built as a monument to Jeptha. H. Wade by his grandson in 1901. The chapel was used as a receiving vault and service chapel and is open to the public for visits or to schedule services (including weddings and other events). The Greek temple design houses the interior by Tiffany featuring a window and side…

This interview was conducted at Cleveland State University with Michael Tevesz, founder and former director for the Sacred Landmarks project. The first part of the interview traces the beginnings of the project when it began in the mid 1980s. Different aspects of the project is discussed along with the published works documenting Cleveland and…

The Park East Synagogue is located in Pepper Pike on Shaker Boulevard on land originally purchased for the congregation's school. With a growing population, the facility was built to accommodate the congregation moving southeastward from its Park Main site in Cleveland Heights. Both facilities remain in use today. Park East is home for worship, a…

This is an interview with author Lloyd (Sandy) H. Ellis Jr. about his book Sacred Landmarks and his forthcoming book which extends the first work beyond the city limits. In the first part of the interview there is discussion about the first book and how his new book will extend beyond the city limits to look at other sacred landmarks around the…

The Park Main Synagogue by architect Eric Mendolson was the congregations first move from its origins in Cleveland's Glenville neighborhood. Park School facility and land was purchased in the 1940's and the temple and school and meeting facilities were built on the grounds in Cleveland Heights between Mayfield Road and Euclid Heights Boulevard in a…

Members of the Shiloh Baptist Church congregation share their observations and recollections about the church, its traditional events, and the Cedar-Central community.

Mr. Arnold tells of the Anshe Chesed congregation in Cleveland from its' beginnings in the 1800's and original temple in the Market District (Progressive Field). Later, the congregation built a temple on Scovill Avenue and later at Euclid Avenue and East 82nd Street (the current Liberty Hill Baptist Church). By the 1950's much of Cleveland's Jewish…

This is an interview conducted with Frank Lucas, Parish Council President of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Lithuanian parish. The interview begins with talk of the formation of the parish in 1929 to accommodate the growing Lithuanian community in the Collinwood and Euclid neighborhoods. The first part of the interview traces the location of the parish…

St. James of Lakewood is located at 17514 Detroit Avenue. The church was built between 1920 and 1947 reflecting several prevalent European architectural and decor styles. The parish served the western Lakewood community for about one hundred years through its closing in 2008 by the Diocese of Cleveland. The parish closure is being appealed to the…

This is an interview with Father Michael Franz Pastor of St. Stephen Church and Lorraine Mielnik, Parish Secretary. After introductions there is some background history of St. Stephen's Church. It was established in 1873 to serve the German speaking Catholics of the community. The founding pastor was Father Stephen Falk from Switzerland and a…